Looking for a new career that is challenging and rewarding?
KFI may have an opportunity for you.
Are you an energetic, creative, and compassionate person who is looking for a job that provides the opportunity to really help make positive changes in a person’s life? Come work for the winner of two national awards for full community inclusion and start a career that can really make a difference. KFI employees support adults with disabilities to be active, contributing, and valued members of their communities. Our unique approach to providing supports has yielded positive results for a wide variety of people. You can read their stories elsewhere on this website.
Our approach to providing supports includes at its core, a belief that all people of working age can and should work. We dedicate ourselves to assisting people on their pathway to employment. Therefore it is critical that all employees fully embrace this ideal and work to make people's desire for employment a reality regardless of the level and complexity of their disability.
Current Job Openings
Please click on the heading below for more information for the job that interests you.
Current employees may contact any office for an In-House Application
- DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL - MILLINOCKET - Position # 71-1
- FINANCIAL MANAGER- Position #85-5
- DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL - GREATER PORTLAND - # 72-8
- DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL - MILLINOCKET - Position #20-2-1
- COMMUNITY ADVOCATE - PORTLAND #72-9
- DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL - BANGOR Position #15.1.7
- DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL - MILLINOCKET - Position #PD-1
- DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL - LINCOLN - Position #PD-2
- DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL - BANGOR - Position #PD-3
- DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL - PORTLAND - Position #PD-4
- DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL - SANFORD - Position #PD-5
Full time opportunity in Millinocket. Work Tuesday 8 pm until Thursday at 1 pm and reap full time pay and benefits! This Community Advocate position supports a young man who is eager to get out and about in his community and explore what Millinocket has to offer. An open mind , flexibility in ideas and creativity are all valued qualities that will help you be successful in this position. To learn more about this position click here to read more.
See what some of our current employees say about working at KFI:
- "As a community advocate, I not only felt employment satisfaction from helping people reach goals, maintain independence, and complete necessary errands and tasks, but, like the cliche goes, I gained many skills and new information too..... I know some people who consider working in this field are nervous, wondering if they have the traits and skills to work with people with various circumstances. The only skill needed is to respect others and to view each person as an individual. The rest will fall in place, especially if you get as much support, co-operation, and respect from your co-workers and supervisors at KFI as they've given me."
--Kara Schreiber, DSP since 2010
- "I love my job because of the flexibility and non-traditional hours.....Every day is a new experience.... I have learned alot and have grown so much as a person, employee, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, etc, since I joined the KFI team in 2008. I have worked as in education technician, have done CNA work, done retail and food services, and have also done DSP work for other companies, but none have come close to KFI!"
--Darlene Cookson, DSP since 2009
- "......So I go to work everyday, fulfilling my passion; which is awesome. I feel like we work for the make a wish foundation only more advanced, we work for the "build a life foundation"."
--Wanda Rideout, DSP since 2009
Positions: All of our Direct Support Professionals fall into one of three categories.
- Community Advocate: Each Community Advocate works an assigned schedule with a variety of people over the course of their work week. This schedule may be adjusted based on the needs of the person supported. The primary focus for most community advocates is assisting people to make connections in the community based on their interests, gifts and talents. Day to day errands and routines such as fitness regimens, grocery shopping and laundry may also be part of your job duties. Daily paperwork and weekly staff meetings are also part of the weekly schedule.
- Supported Living Facilitator: These positions work a 2.5 day schedule. Supported Living Facilitator’s stay in someone’s home around the clock and usually support only that person for the entire time they are on duty. Although there may be more need for personal care and home maintenance supports the primary focus of the job is still to assist the person to make connections in the community based on their interests, gifts, and talents and following the goals as laid out in the person’s annual plan. The average work week for this type of position is 56 hours.
- Per Diem Staff: Our per diem staff can cross train to work with anyone in the agency thus they may find themselves in the role of Community Advocate or Supported Living Facilitator at any given time. Qualification, requirements and job duties are the same. The primary difference is that per diem staff have no set schedule and are not promised any regular hours. They are utilized to cover absences due to leave time, training and meetings and sometimes short term vacancies.
Qualifications: All Direct Support Professionals at KFI have the following minimum qualifications:
- H.S. diploma or GED
- Must be able to read, write, and communicate fluently in English
- Valid Maine driver’s license
- Minimum 3 year clean driving record
- Safe & reliable vehicle
- Must be at least 18 years of age
Experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities, DSP and CRMA certification preferred.
Competitive Benefits Package: KFI offers all employees with regular 30+ hours per week schedule a competitive benefits package which includes options for health, dental, life, long and short term disability insurance as well as a matching Simple IRA plan and health savings account. Employee portion for health insurance is less than $30 per month! Paid holidays and earned leave time are also benefits available to all regular employees.
New Retention Bonus: All employees who meet all training criteria within the first 6 months of employment will be eligible for a one-time $250 stipend.
- Community Advocate - $10.00/hr. DSP Certified - $10.27/hr
- Cumberland & York County Community Advocates - $10.32/hr, DSP Certified $10.59/hr
- Supported Living Facilitator - $431.75/week for standard 56 hour shift
- $437.80/week DSP Certified standard 56 hour shift
- Per Diem - $9.00/hr for every hour worked; $7.50/hr for every sleep or training hour
- Cumberland & York County employees - $12.00/hr for every hour worked; $10.00/hr for training