DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL - #PD-4
Direct Support Professional - Portland Area Per Diem Pool
Employees in the Portland area pool may work hours as assigned as Community Advocates for KFI. Training will be offered at all work sites within this area as appropriate. KFI does not guarantee specific work hours and is under no obligation to use an individual nor to assure someone specific assignments or hours. Employees at this location are free to accept and decline work assignments as offered.
The Community Advocate is responsible for providing a wide range of personal support services to individuals in order to maximize people's independence and promote community integration and participation. It is also the responsibility of the Community Advocate to hold high expectations for each person's quality of life as a full citizen and community member. Services occur within a person's home and within the community at large. Responsibilities are accomplished through interaction with the individual served, his/her family, KFI staff, and members of the community.
- Treat each person with respect, get to know each individual well and learn about his or her interests and preferences. Advocate for the choices, rights and dreams of the person and assist in self-advocacy.
- Plan and implement supports, training activities and community experiences based on goals and objectives established in the person-centered planning process for persons receiving Supported Living and Community Integration services; maintain a regular schedule of support hours to ensure that each person's needs and choices are addressed; provide crisis intervention as needed.
- Participate in PCP meetings, quarterly reviews, and staff meetings as required; regularly share person-centered information with Support Coordinator; maintain communication with the family or guardian, as appropriate, and foster cooperative relationships.
- Introduce persons to community resources and community members. Facilitate community integration by assisting people to: use generic resources such as local banks, grocery stores, fitness centers, restaurants, etc.; join groups, clubs, classes; volunteer; connect with friends; and develop sustained relationships through consistent, shared activity with community members. Act as a role model with regard to age-appropriate and socially typical behavior.
- Participate in the Discovery process and assist people to learn about local job opportunities; provide job coaching to persons in individual jobs: ensure that work is performed per employer specifications regarding quality, quantity, and socially typical behavior; and facilitate the development of natural supports.
- Collect data related to daily progress and accomplishments, community connections, achievement of PCP objectives; prepare and maintain required daily documentation and reports.
- Transport persons served within the community during service hours.
- Perform other duties as specified in the KFI Direct Support Professional Handbook.
Please note position #PD-4 on the application